Euro Truck Simulator 2 was one of the sleeper hits of the early 2010s, but it seems like American Truck Simulator hasn’t received the same amount of acclaim that its predecessor has garnered. One complaint I had heard at times was that the world seemed a little too “Small”, giving us a condensed version of the US, but not the full thing. Now, we have seen a significant update, that will make ATS quite a bit bigger!
In the initial release of American Truck Simulator, the world was set to a 1:35 scale. Now, we have seen the scale of the map go up to 1:20. That results in a massive upgrade, a 1.75x increase.
Rescaled map main features:
- Scale 1:35 → 1:20 – 1,75x larger map
- Hundreds of miles of new longer roads
- A new city – Santa Maria
- Completely reworked city – Oxnard
- Reworked roadsystem topology:
- New Interstate I-580 and I-80 connections
- I-5 near LA topology corrected
- I-5 Redding topology corrected
- New stretch of CA-101
- Correct interstate junctions – no more same level crossing, freeways exiting on itself, etc
- 28 reworked or new junctions – most notably – Reno, San Francisco, San Diego, L.A.
- 6 new custom rest areas – truckstops
- More accurate height profiles – new steeper climbs and descends
- Famous recognizable landscape landmarks: Donner pass, Grapevine, Kumeyaay highway, Picachio peak, Humphreys peak, Cajon pass
Because of the increase of the map, some other elements have had to be overhauled as well. There will be a longer day-night cycle, to reflect the scale of the map. The economy has also received some tweaks as well.
This new upgrade to the map has been put into the now-released version 1.5 update for ATS. The update brings a significant changelog, which is listed below.
I am looking forward to giving this a test drive, partly because I live in California, so I can attest to the realism of a lot of these roads. Maybe I’ll do a video on this as well?
Have you tested out the latest update for American Truck Simulator? Let us know in the comments!
ATS 1.5 patchnotes
- Map rebuilt in 1:20 scale
- Upgrade Shop and Truck Browser Search Tool
- New chassis options (6×2 & 6×2 Midlift)
- Adjustable interior FOV per truck
- Weigh station UI behavior made more real
- Truck repair/refuel performed by hired driver cost money, included in logs
- Added informational dialog showing when game detects upgrade or downgrade
- Added pounds + short tonnes as weight unit option
- Add possibility to buy driver and co-driver plate in truck dealer
- Online job offer: Replaced refresh button with browse jobs
- Better trailer air pressure simulation
- Low air warning should only be active with running engine
- Parking brake mechanical safeguard on low air added
- Revised rolling resistance computations
- Hired driver use same math for eco skill as player
- Added selector modes to shift layout, correct detection of split shifts (advanced mode)
- Adaptive shifting logic improved
- Mod manager: Added link to load game screen in case game crashed and user has at least one mod activated
- Mod manager: Added possibility of setting profile by name and by user profile pointer
- Mod manager: Added dlc dependency list to mod manifest
- Prevent to AI trucks disappearing in players view
- Tweaked traffic spawn frequencies
- Changed map parameters (climate_profile, map_data)
- Moddable interior camera zoom parameters. (speed, factor)
- 1 degree rotation on Ctrl + R, 90 degree rotation on Home
- Merged editable sign and sign dialog
- Refresh sign template and its model from content browser
- Added letter-spacing to sign editor
- Store content browser navigation history
- Support for day/nigh effect switching and child hookups for lod_model_hookup_u
- Undo of veg sphere manipulation