Fly through rally stages with the Oculus Rift!
DiRT Rally was one of the truly underrated gems of the sim racing world when it released last year. The members of the community hailed it as the “spiritual successor to Richard Burns Rally”, and proved Codemasters could develop a serious racing title. However, the community expressed desire for one major feature, support for the Oculus Rift.
Version 1.3 of DiRT Rally has been released, granting virtual reality aficionados’ wishes. The Oculus Rift is now officially supported! The update only adds support for the Rift, but is quite hefty in the 10.2 GB download. While the download is large, I bet the Virtual Reality support makes it worth it.
The Oculus Rift is the only officially supported VR headset at the time of this writing. However, thanks to our excellent community, we have a video to enable support for the HTC Vive. For more information on the Rift and getting it to work on DiRT Rally, check out this info below.
Have you tested the Oculus Rift with DiRT Rally Yet? Let us know in the comments!
From the DiRT Rally Steam Page
Version 1.2 of DiRT Rally has arrived, bringing with it Oculus Rift support! If you have an Oculus kit, here are some top tips to make the most of your new DiRT experience…
• To get the game to boot in VR, simply plug in your Oculus headset before you press Play in Steam.
• We don’t recommend you turn on VR in the Steam Client, as doing so will disable the Steam Overlay on the desktop image of the game.
• To re-centre your view, just hit the Left Ctrl key.
• We have added configurable options in the HUD settings in order to reduce motion sickness, which are active by default. We’ve also given each track a comfort rating as a guide to help control motion sickness.
• DK2 does work with the VR version of DiRT Rally.
In terms of fixes, it’s a very short list – but this is one that will improve some of your replays no end:
• Graphics – Motion blur being applied to AI cars.
As always, please let us know if you’ve got any feedback about this patch in the usual places – like here, on our Codemasters forums, or on Reddit – but we hope you enjoy the update!