The next numbered installment in the DiRT Franchise has been announced by Codemasters! Following the success of surprise hit DiRT Rally, Codies has announced the first full installment of the DiRT franchise in nearly six years, DiRT 4, will be coming in June 6th, 2017!
DiRT 3 was released in May of 2011, and was regarded as a solid racing title, bogged down by short stages, and also what was regarded to as the “Dude Bro mentality”. Four years later, DiRT Rally was seemingly dropped on our laps, and appealed strongly to the hardcore rally fans, and pleased many sim racers.
DiRT Rally’s game engine seems to be the base for DiRT 4, and it will feature more locations, more cars, and more features/modes. Most notably, a new addition will be “Your Stage”. You will be able to build a custom stage (most likely using the locations as a base), and race it and share with friends. One great element will be the fact that stage length will be able to be set by the racer, so new rally drivers could set short stages, while more experienced drivers will run longer courses.
DiRT 4 will be released June 6th, 2017 for the PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4. For more information, I will attach the press release down below. I’m excited to see what Codemasters will bring in this new installment. How about you?
DiRT® 4™ CRASHES ONTO CONSOLES ON JUNE 6: BIGGER, BOLDER & BETTER THAN EVER BEFORE
THE MULTI-MILLION BEST-SELLING OFF-ROAD FRANCHISE RETURNS WITH BUGGIES, TRUCKS, RALLY, RALLYCROSS AND A GAME CHANGER FOR RACING
Larkspur, Calif. – January 26, 2017 – Codemasters & Deep Silver today announced that DiRT® 4™ will fearlessly race to the PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, the all-in-one entertainment system from Microsoft, and Windows PC on June 6, 2017. Hot on the heels of 2016’s critically and commercially successful DiRT Rally®, DiRT 4 takes the passion and authenticity of off-road racing to the next level and also reintroduces gamers to white knuckle truck and buggy racing in Landrush. You can watch the announcement trailer now at http://www.dirt4game.com.
DiRT 4 sports an all-new system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce a near infinite number of unique stages at the touch of a button. Choosing your location and setting the route parameters , Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills.
Globally renowned for delivering premium quality, authentic and fun racing games, Codemasters is once more bringing its talent and experience to the world of off-road driving. With DiRT 4, the team have sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year’s DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, accessibility and adrenalin-fueled contests previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3.
Featuring classic rally racing that continues to build on the foundations set by the Colin McRae Rally games, the bruising contests from the official FIA World Rallycross Championship, the crazy battles of racing trucks and buggies, and the outrageous fun of open events in Joyride, players will face the challenges from as far apart as Australia, Spain and California in a truly global sport.
DiRT 4 challenges you to “Be Fearless” by capturing the thrill, emotion and passion of off-road racing. It recreates the heady mix of adrenalin and fear that comes from powering around a blind bend and the rush you feel going for a last ditch overtake when there’s not enough room on the final lap of a race. Off-road racing is about more than perfect cornering, it’s about heart-pounding, split-section decision making where bravery brings reward.
• OVER 50 OF THE MOST BREATH-TAKING OFF-ROAD CARS EVER BUILT – Including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2
• 5 INCREDIBLE RALLY LOCATIONS WITH MILLIONS OF ROUTES – Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales
• THE OFFICIAL GAME OF THE FIA WORLD RALLYCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP – Race at Montalegre, Lohéac Bretagne, Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a multitude of different series
• LANDRUSH – Short-course dirt track racing in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro-4 Trucks and Crosskart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico
• JOYRIDE – Laptime challenges, smash challenges, free-play area and send challenges to friends
• DiRT ACADEMY – Taking place at the DirtFish Rally School in Washington, USA, learn the skills, techniques and practice to become the best!
• CAREER MODE – create your driver, compete across the disciplines, gain sponsors and build your team with clear goals and rewards
• COMPETITIVE GAMING – Daily, weekly and month-long challenges against fellow players from around the world
• NEXT GENERATION OF RACENET – Live ladder, leagues and tournaments, cross-platform leaderboards, enhanced CREST telemetry system
• TUNING – Tweak your set-up based on vehicle, track and weather conditions to best suit your racing style
• DAMAGE & REPAIRS – Wear and tear is faithfully recreated with an improved and realistic damage model. Damage can be repaired by hiring engineers to work in the team’s Service Area between stages but with a finite amount of time available.
Keep up with all the news and follow updates from the studio on Facebook and Twitter.